The Lewis Cass Intermediate School District was so named by the Board of Education on February 19, 1963 in honor of Lewis Cass. A brigadier general in the war of 1812, Cass was territorial governor of the Michigan Territory from 1813 to 1831. Most of the social, industrial, and political development can be traced back to the work of Lewis Cass.
Lewis Cass spent 56 years as a diplomat and statesman. He was named Secretary of War and later Minister to France by President Jackson. Cass served as United States Senator for Michigan and ran for the presidency in 1848 under the Democratic Party. Cass also served as Secretary of State under President Buchanan from 1857 until 1860 when he resigned.
In the same fine tradition of its namesake, the Lewis Cass Intermediate Board of Education desires to contribute to the social and educational progress of ALL children.
The Lewis Cass Intermediate School District provides services that the local districts, Cassopolis, Dowagiac, Edwardsburg, and Marcellus, find too costly to operate for themselves. The District coordinates school improvement services as well as support services such as education for the disabled, career technical, gifted and talented and general education.
Historical plaque in Cassopolis, Michigan
1782 - 1866
Photo on right by the Mathew Brady Studio, N.Y.
Imperial salted-paper print, 1857
17 3/4 x 13 1/8 inches; 29 x 23 inches framed
Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, Massachusetts,
on deposit from Harvard College Library; bequest of Evert Jansen Wendell
(original information at: http://www.npg.si.edu/exh/brady/gallery/73gal.html)